22 Jul How Long Does it Take for Head Lice to Become Visible?
If your child was recently exposed to head lice, you might wonder how long it takes for any possible lice to become visible. We get these calls a lot from moms and dads who are concerned that their children may have contracted lice. It’s always easier to deal with mild infestations, so early identification is smart. So, how soon is too soon when having your child checked?
It’s Never too Early to Be Checked for Head Lice
If your child was exposed to head lice, it’s never too early to have them looked at. If there is a louse in your child’s hair, a head lice expert will find it! Because these pests can lay up to 10 eggs a day, a single louse can cause a lot of trouble. You can try to look for lice on your own, but they are difficult to spot to the untrained eye. A head lice expert can usually identify these pests faster.
It’s important to note that only mature lice can be removed from the hair. Nits (unhatched eggs) attach themselves securely to the scalp and typically survive head lice treatments. This is why it’s recommended to have a second treatment to ensure that any hatched eggs are killed as well.
Benefits of Early Head Lice Checks
Head lice cases are common, so don’t be surprised if your child crosses paths with the pests at least once in their lifetime. If you know they were exposed to lice, a quick and inexpensive head lice check is all you need for clarity. Here are the benefits to scheduling an in-home or in-salon lice check:
- Fast identification. If your child does have a louse in their hair, you can remove it before it starts laying eggs.
- Easier to treat. Mild lice infestations are much easier to treat than moderate to severe ones. Two treatments (initial and follow-up) usually kick the infestation.
- Less spreading. If lice are confirmed and your child receives treatment, it prevents the infestation from spreading. In fact, with a single treatment, children can return to school and daycare.
- Peace of mind. Rather than worrying about whether or not your child has lice, get the peace of mind you need to rest easy.
- Convenience. If it turns out your child has lice, you can get them treatment immediately and have everyone else in the home checked as well.
Lice are contagious, so if your child has been around someone with lice, get them checked right away. My Hair Helpers offers in-home and in-salon lice checks for just $25 ($35 for long hair). We think this is worth your peace of mind, don’t you? Call us today to schedule your same-day appointment!