22 Nov How to Avoid Head Lice While on Vacation
Head lice love vacationers. In hotel rooms and hostels all around the country – and the world for that matter – these bloodsucking pests wait patiently inside mattresses, upholstery, luggage and other items for the perfect moment to take up residence in the scalps of travelers. Therefore, because the holiday travel is rapidly approaching, we thought it would be a good idea to give you some tips that will help keep head lice at bay.
- Read hotel reviews before you book: Check hotel review before you book your vacation. If the hotel you are considering using has a poor cleanliness rating then you should consider moving on to another chain. One of the chief ways lice can infiltrate hotel rooms is by hitching a ride on previous travelers.
- Check the room: This seems like a pretty obvious one and it is. However, many people do not know how to recognize lice and nits nor do they know where they are likely to hide. When you arrive in your hotel room pull back the sheets and do a quick scan for any dead bugs, or tiny tell-tale blood spots. See our blog as a way to determine what lice and their nits look like.
- Avoid checking your jacket in the coat closet: According to the CDC, body lice can spread easily from one kind of clothing to another. When you travel avoid hanging your wrap in a confined space with other people’s clothing. If possible, try carrying your wrap with you.
- Check your seat on mass transit: Many people use mass transportation for convenience and in order to save money while on vacation. And while this may be a good idea, it can leave you vulnerable to head lice from other commuters. Try not to make physical contact with others when you are traveling on a bus, subway etc., Also, you may wish to wipe down any seat you are about to occupy or head rest you are going to use.
- Do your laundry: If you have any doubts about the laundry service where you are staying then do your own laundry. According to the CDC clothes washing is very effective at killing lice.
We at Hair Helpers want you to get your vacation off to the right start. Our head lice removal service works to rid you and your family of head lice. We do so via our mobile vans and our salons. We also sell natural lice removal products that will guarantee that lice do not return. Have a happy and lice free vacation season.