30 Oct Grandparents and Head Lice: Why Cases are on the Rise
Spending time with the grandkids is every grandparent’s dream. But this time spent together can also create opportunities for germs to spread. Kids are carriers and they can spread colds and viruses to Grandma and Grandpa. And another thing they can spread – head lice!
Why More Seniors are Getting Head Lice
When it comes to head lice, we’re seeing a higher rate of cases among seniors. Lice do not discriminate, so grandmas and grandpas have no trouble picking them up. And because more grandparents are helping out with childcare, lice can more easily spread from one household to the next.
Head lice are no different from what they were hundreds of years ago, but their resistance to chemicals and the rate at which they spread are. It’s also not uncommon for grandparents to cover the cost of treatment, so even if they don’t get head lice directly, they’re still aware and involved in the treatment process.
Educating Grandparents on Safe, Effective Head Lice Treatment
Probably one of the most challenging aspects for grandparents is that they aren’t aware of how head lice treatments have changed. Years ago, they could go to the drugstore and buy any product to kill lice. But today, things are different.
First of all, we know more about the ingredients used in common head lice products than ever before. Many use insecticides and pesticides to eliminate lice, and this just isn’t necessary. It can expose people to chemicals that can be potentially damaging to their health.
Second, lice have grown resistant to many of the ingredients used in common drugstore lice shampoos. It’s very possible that Grandma could use the product on her grandchild’s hair, only to see the lice return within a few weeks.
My Hair Helpers aims to educate people of all ages on safe, effective and affordable head lice treatments. Once grandparents know there are better alternatives, they have no problem leaving the drugstore products on the shelves.
What Grandparents Can Do to Combat Lice
If you’re a grandparent and you or your grandchild has lice, My Hair Helpers can help you take control of the situation within one day. Here is what we recommend:
- Schedule an appointment at a head lice salon. This way, you can diagnose the lice and start treatment. My Hair Helpers has three convenient salons in southern California and a mobile service that will travel to your home.
- Purchase a DIY head lice treatment. My Hair Helpers has a full line of lice removal oils and shampoos that can treat multiple family members. Just one application treats the infestation and lets you send your grandchild back to school.
- Once a week, take a peek. Using a stainless steel nit picking comb, comb through your grandchild’s hair after their bath. This will allow you to remove any lice or nits that survived. We also recommend wet combing all the heads in the household to watch for lice.
- Do not overtreat. Lice removal products should only be used on those with confirmed cases of lice. Do not use these products on others to prevent lice – wet combing is your best defense.
- Beef up your defense. To prevent re-infestation, teach your grandchild healthy habits like not sharing hair accessories or hats and avoiding head-to-head contact. Tie up long hair and give it a spritz with a peppermint-scented lice repellent spray.
My Hair Helpers is a leader in safe, effective and affordable head lice treatment solutions. With our products, you can gain control of the most severe infestations in just one day! Contact us today to learn more about our full line of head lice removal services and treatment products.