01 Mar Dos and Don’ts for Dealing with Head Lice in Your Home
If your child returns from school, daycare or summer camp with head lice, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed. But, it’s important to know that head lice is a common problem with many effective treatments. According to the CDC, as many as 6-12 million people in the world get lice every year. The ones most affected are preschool and school-age children, though head lice can happen to anyone.
If your family has been affected by head lice, take a deep breath and know that it’s going to be OK! You do not have to live in hiding for months. There are many effective ways to deal with head lice in one child and prevent it in others. Below are the dos and don’ts for dealing with head lice in your home.
- DO comb through your child’s hair weekly. Use a fine-tooth comb to comb through your child’s hair at least once a week. Choose a well-lit room in the home, and sit your child down in a comfortable chair. Part the hair at your child’s scalp and look for crawling lice and nits.
- DO treat the problem right away. There’s no need to panic, but do respond to the problem immediately. Each day that you leave the lice untreated, the more time they have to reproduce and spread.
- DO get educated on head lice. The best way to prevent panic is by getting educated on head lice, how they are spread and how they are treated. Head lice have nothing to do with hygiene. They are commonly spread through head-to-head contact, which is why they are more common in kids.
- DON’T panic. We recommend reading this post on the most common myths about head lice. These misconceptions do more harm than good. Head lice can be treated, and your child may not even have to miss school!
- DON’T use over-the-counter products. Many OTC products have proven to be ineffective. In fact, they can make things worse by slowing down the lice and not eliminating them. This gives lice time to breed. Also, some products contain ingredients that could be harmful or cause allergic reactions.
- DON’T keep the problem a secret. We know that many people are embarrassed to have lice, but keeping it a secret makes it easier for head lice to spread! Let others know so that they can check their kids’ hair and apply treatment, if needed. Also, let the school nurse know.
Head lice are a nuisance, but they are not a health hazard. If you discover head lice in your child, DO call My Hair Helpers. We have all-natural hair lice treatment solutions that can be used in your home or at our salon. When you schedule an appointment with us, you also get a 30-Day Lice Free Guarantee and Lifetime Protection. Call us today at 310-874-4550.