26 Jul The Dangers of Leaving Head Lice Untreated
Because head lice can sometimes be mistaken for more benign conditions like dandruff, dry scalp, etc., it is often ignored by people until the symptoms become more than simply irritating. For example, the scratching that goes along with having an itchy scalp can sometimes break the skin. This can make the sufferer prone to infections which can sometimes be serious. So what dangers are there in letting head lice go untreated for an extended period of time?
- Cellulitis: This bacterial infection occurs between the skin and the tissues beneath the skin. The symptoms of which are redness, pain, tenderness, swelling, etc. Usually, Cellulitis must be treated with antibiotics.
- Piedra infection: Though this kind of infection is rare, it can cause hardened nodules to form on the hair shafts themselves. The symptoms of Piedra infection include brittle hair, pain and itchiness. Usually, the treatment is to apply antifungal cream or shampoo to the scalp.
- Infestation: Because head lice are so contagious, ignoring it can lead to individuals infecting many others. Typical transfer points include places like schools, childcare centers, slumber parties, sports activities and campuses.
- Recurrence: While infections are not out of the ordinary, the most common complication of untreated head lice is recurrence. This is because lice are very prolific. A female louse can lay around 6 to 10 eggs (nits) per day. Ask yourself if you want generation after generations of head lice taking up residence in your child’s scalp indefinitely.
- Impetigo: Impetigo is another skin infection in which antibiotics are ultimately needed. Like head lice themselves, Impetigo is contagious. It is caused by staph and strep bacteria. Symptoms of it include a rash, and small blisters.
Let’s face it. No one is going to die from head lice. However, that does not mean that you should not try to stop the spread of this nasty little parasite as soon as it begins to establish a foothold in your scalp. One way you can help is by utilizing our mobile head lice service. We have natural head lice removal techniques and formulas that spare your child from being exposed to harsh chemicals. Some of the ingredients in commercial head lice treatments, as we have pointed out here before, have even been banned in some countries. Save yourself from these complications by taking action at the first signs that you or your child may be infected.