02 Jan How to Answer Your Child’s Questions about Head Lice
As embarrassing and confusing as having head lice as an adult can be, it is even more so for a child. They lack our understanding and do not always have the ability to put some things into perspective. So that you will be able to address the confusion and embarrassment that your child is bound to feel upon discovering that she has head lice, here are answers to questions she may ask you.
- Am I dirty? Let your child know the truth – head lice do not just affect people with poor hygiene habits (unless you consider limiting head to head contact a hygiene habit). This condition affects rich and poor, old and young, male and female and is no reflection on one’s home life or economic status.
- How did I get them? Head lice is spread by head-to-head contact with a person who has head lice or by coming in contact with some article of clothing – generally headwear – from someone who is infected. They don’t just magically appear out of nowhere. Try to learn how to limit the recurrence of head lice and teach this to your child. We have much information on this site about preventing the spread of head lice.
- Do head lice carry or transmit any disease? Tell your child that head lice themselves do not generally carry diseases that would be considered dangerous. However, scratching the scalp excessively could lead to a break in the skin. This could lead to infections. Their cousins, body lice, are far more likely to spread diseases that we would consider dangerous.
- Can our pet get head lice? Head lice prefer human blood. Therefore, they tend to stay away from cats and dogs.
- How are head lice treated? Assure your child that head lice can be treated effectively. While most people tend to use over the counter medications there are alternatives. Our natural head lice products go to work right away at permanently ridding your child of head lice. Assure your child that the treatment will be painless.
In short, be reassuring and direct with your child and help her to put this common problem into perspective. You can do so at our head lice removal salon or via our mobile van which can come to where you are to treat your child and others for this all too common condition.